Our mission is to accelerate de-carbonization of hard-to-abate industries, starting with steel.
To do this, we need to break new ground. By combining leading expertise and new technology with clean energy, we are on a path to take global leadership within green hydrogen, enabling us to transform steelmaking and other sectors. Changing an industry is not a small task, but we know it’s possible, and necessary, for our customers, society, and our planet.
Things are moving fast, and we are accelerating. At the beginning of 2020, we announced our plans to make the steel industry fossil-free, and in 2022 we will start construction of our first plant. We want to build diverse, dynamic and driven teams. We look for ambitious individuals from all disciplines, sharing our vision of cutting CO2 emissions down to zero. As a team, we innovate, collaborate, and enjoy the ride.
VP of Engineering
The VP of Engineering reports to the Chief Projects and Capital Officer and is primarily responsible for ensuring that the H2GS Boden Project Engineering activities are carried out in a timely manner, within budget, and with excellent quality. The VP of Engineering will build and lead a team to coordinate with the engineering firms and construction firms assigned scope needed to construct the Boden project Plant, while also closely collaborating with the Process Equipment providers engineers and field technical teams. This role and associated team will work closely with the H2GS Contracting and Construction team.
The H2GS Project consists of:
- 760 MW H2 production facility consisting of several types of hydrogen production technologies
- 2.1MM MT DRI Production Facility
- 2.5MM MT Steelmaking and CSP Facility
- Various Cold Finishing Facilities
- Plant Power Distribution Grid
- Plant Infrastructure and Water Systems
- Build a strong team to coordinate and perform engineering activities and manage field engineering activities
- Build world class engineering competence across specific disciplines (e.g. electrical, building information models, etc. )
- Provide leadership and guidance on developing the engineering and design strategy and concepts.
- Manage engineering work to ensure compliance to codes, standards, regulations, equipment specifications, and process equipment operating targets.
- Advancing quality achievement and performance improvement throughout the organization.
- Managing the development and implementation of Field Technical Services team consisting of H2GS, Process Equipment Vendor, and 3rd party personnel.
- Manage ongoing field QA to ensure quality installation work.
- Develop or select engineering and design standards and procedures to ensure that quality requirements are met and consistent.
- Preparing and optimizing budgets.
- Deliver engineering work on time, on budget, and with excellent quality.
- Making a safe work environment a priority.
- Substantial previous working experience in major capital projects in demanding industry, e.g. metals industry, mining, oil & gas, semiconductor or batteries. Experience from steel industry is strong plus.
- Experience in project planning, execution (including construction realities), management, and communication with all stakeholders in large successful capital projects.
- Extensive experience in working with construction engineers and field contractors on large capital projects
- Must be knowledgeable about industry best practices and change management.
- Approx. 10 years of recent experience managing engineering and construction activities in large capital projects
- Ability to recruit and build a strong team.
- Strong management and interpersonal/communication skills.
- Very strong ability to cooperate, collaborate, and work effectively in a complex multi-team environment with sometimes competing views and overlapping responsibilities.
- Strong organizational leadership skills.
- Advanced ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written, with all internal and external entities.
What we can offer you
If you are passionate about making actual change and having a positive impact on society and our planet, H2 Green Steel offers a unique opportunity to be part of a fun and professional team with high ambitions.
You will get the opportunity to shape your future career together with a company focusing on creating a culture where everyone can thrive and feel a sense of belonging. In the end, we know that H2 Green Steel’s growth and success is dependent on our people and we can’t wait to shape the future of steelmaking and other industries together as a team.
Interested in joining H2 Green Steel, but find yourself not meeting every single requirement of this role?
Research shows that women and other under-represented groups within our industry hesitate to apply unless they tick most boxes of a role description. At H2 Green Steel, we are building an impact company with sustainability at its core. We need a diverse, inclusive, and authentic team to rally behind our purpose of de-carbonizing hard-to-abate industries, starting with steel.
If you are equally passionate about our purpose, yet concerned that your experience does not align perfectly with the qualifications stated in the job advert, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate, either for this role – or for another upcoming role in our growing team.