H2 Green Steel is on a mission to disrupt the global steel industry by producing green steel, with the end goal of bringing down CO2 emissions to zero. By using green hydrogen and fossil-free electricity instead of coal; water and heat will be our primary emissions. By 2030, our ambition is to produce 5 million tonnes of green steel annually in our fully integrated, digitalized, and sustainable plant in Boden, located in northern Sweden - currently in construction phase. But this is just the beginning – our expertise in green hydrogen will enable us to decarbonize other industries in addition to steel, and we look forward to what’s next in store for us.
We are looking for talented, innovative, and purpose-driven people to join our rapidly growing and diverse team. Our employees get to learn everyday, implement the latest technology and test and put their ideas into practice. Together, we are building an impact company with sustainability at its core – for our people, customers, investors, society, and planet.
Technical Safety Engineering Lead
We are recruiting a Technical Safety Engineering Lead for our hydrogen plant, looking for someone with previous experience from working in the oil & gas, petrochemical, carbon capture or energy transition industries. The H2 Green Steel hydrogen plant is the first of its kind with large scale electrolyzer process systems as well as high pressure storage. In order to deliver a safe solution and prepare authorities as well as permit applications, we will be conducting several safety studies; such as: CFD modelling, safety reviews, risk analysis, explosion and blast analysis, gas detection and measurements. Safety is a top priority for H2GS which is why we need to bring an experienced Technical Safety Engineering Lead on board with previous experience from working in the Nordic region and understanding of local legislation.
You will be responsible for ensuring that the technical safety and engineering aspects of the design within the project are developed and maintained to the relevant acceptable standards and applicable legislation. You will review the engineering documentation and give guidance on safety to other stakeholders for the hydrogen facility.
To be successful at H2 Green Steel you will need to be able to work well in a greenfield environment, be able to navigate in ambiguity, eager to find solutions and highly motivated by driving this industry shift. We expect you are a hard worker, well organized, proactive, with a teamwork attitude, a flexible approach and ability to work under pressure.
- Manage the technical safety strategy for hydrogen plant
- Review documentation from suppliers and EPCM firms related to hydrogen safety
- Perform qualitative risk assessments based on information from suppliers
- Implement and manage assessments for the operational safety, including, but not limited to:
- Safety Case Material Change & Thorough Review
- Quantitative Risk Assessment (QRA)
- Fire Risk Analysis (FRA)/ Fire Explosion Blast Risk Analysis (FEBRA)
- Smoke and Gas Ingress Analysis (SGIA)
- Essential Systems Vulnerability Analysis (ESVA)
- Dispersion modelling/ analysis, thermal radiation, gas plume analysis.
- Manage, Technical Safety Engineering deliverables including, but not limited to:
- As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) demonstration
- Hazardous Area Classification
- Resolving technical queries to ensure resolution
- Provide support to safety workshops (including HAZOP, SIL/LOPA & HAZID) including arrangement and participation
- Prepare documentation for authorities and make sure the engineering work meets the applicable standards and laws
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering (Industrial Instrumentation, Process Automation, Electronic, Electrical, Instrument/Control, etc.)
- Minimum 10 years’ experience from conducting safety and risk assessment of large-scale hydrogen facilities, transport, or applications of hydrogen as a technical safety engineer, preferably as a Senior/Principal/Lead Engineer in reputable engineering firms. Worked on assignments for green and brown field plants in chemical, petrochemical, refinery, power, oil & gas or similar, including understanding of leak frequency and ignition probability, CFD, hydrogen technical safety aspects
- Experienced with regulations and authorities - must include experience from working in the Nordics at some point
- Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team for process plant projects and/or on-/offshore development projects
- Excellent English communication skills
What we can offer you
If you are passionate about making actual change and having a positive impact on society and our planet, H2 Green Steel offers a unique opportunity to be part of a fun and professional team with high ambitions.
You will get the opportunity to shape your future career together with a company focusing on creating a culture where everyone can thrive and feel a sense of belonging. In the end, we know that H2 Green Steel’s growth and success is dependent on our people and we can’t wait to shape the future of steelmaking and other industries together as a team.
Interested in joining H2 Green Steel, but find yourself not meeting every single requirement of this role?
Research shows that women and other under-represented groups within our industry hesitate to apply unless they tick most boxes of a role description. At H2 Green Steel, we are building an impact company with sustainability at its core. We need a diverse, inclusive, and authentic team to rally behind our purpose of de-carbonizing hard-to-abate industries, starting with steel.
If you are equally passionate about our purpose, yet concerned that your experience does not align perfectly with the qualifications stated in the job advert, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate, either for this role – or for another upcoming role in our growing team.