H2 Green Steel is on a mission to disrupt the global steel industry by producing green steel, with the end goal of bringing down CO2 emissions to zero. By using green hydrogen and fossil-free electricity instead of coal; water and heat will be our primary emissions. By 2030, our ambition is to produce 5 million tonnes of green steel annually in our fully integrated, digitalized, and sustainable plant in Boden, located in northern Sweden - currently in construction phase. But this is just the beginning – our expertise in green hydrogen will enable us to decarbonize other industries in addition to steel, and we look forward to what’s next in store for us.
We are looking for talented, innovative, and purpose-driven people to join our rapidly growing and diverse team. Our employees get to learn everyday, implement the latest technology and test and put their ideas into practice. Together, we are building an impact company with sustainability at its core – for our people, customers, investors, society, and planet.
Melt Shop Manager
We are looking for an experienced Melt Shop Manager to manage the melt shop of our greenfield green steel plant in Boden. You will be responsible for optimizing the steel mill, which requires a solid understanding of the complete steel making process, including the processing of iron ore into DRI and how DRI works in EAF. In order to be successful in this position you must have significant industry experience, worked on greenfield start-ups or brownfield revamps with experience from building up an organization from scratch. You will be responsible for safety performance, customer satisfaction, productivity, as well as for financial and environmental performance. We expect that you have previous production manager experience, preferably working with RH degasser, Electric Arc Furnaces (EAF), Ladle Metallurgy Furnace (LMF) or other melting and casting equipment. You will be reporting to the H2GS Head of Steel.
- Purchasing for all material used in the melt shop
- Support and safety
- Responsible for all production operations, including; preparing, calculating, analyzing and handling of production costs related to steel production
- Hiring and people management
- Manage process improvement and development activities
- Define, monitor and optimize operational targets, practices and costs
- Oversee electrical and mechanical maintenance of equipment used in the steel mill: EAF, LMF or other melting/casting equipment
- At least 10-15 years’ experience of relevant industry experience; ideally building, commissioning and operating high power EAF for flat sheet mills and continuous caster. Knowledgeable in metallurgy, melting, melt shop, manufacturing, mill process equipment, casting, EAF and LMF
- Ideally, we’d like to see new mill experience from greenfield start-up operations, alternatively from greenfield/brownfield revamps
- Hiring and managing operational supervisor and crew across multiple units
- Ensure strict adherence to safety practices
- Demonstrated success in leading significant manufacturing operations
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing Principles required as well as demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement
What we can offer you
If you are passionate about making actual change and having a positive impact on society and our planet, H2 Green Steel offers a unique opportunity to be part of a fun and professional team with high ambitions.
You will get the opportunity to shape your future career together with a company focusing on creating a culture where everyone can thrive and feel a sense of belonging. In the end, we know that H2 Green Steel’s growth and success is dependent on our people and we can’t wait to shape the future of steelmaking and other industries together as a team.
Interested in joining H2 Green Steel, but find yourself not meeting every single requirement of this role?
Research shows that women and other under-represented groups within our industry hesitate to apply unless they tick most boxes of a role description. At H2 Green Steel, we are building an impact company with sustainability at its core. We need a diverse, inclusive, and authentic team to rally behind our purpose of de-carbonizing hard-to-abate industries, starting with steel.
If you are equally passionate about our purpose, yet concerned that your experience does not align perfectly with the qualifications stated in the job advert, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate, either for this role – or for another upcoming role in our growing team.