Research shows that women and other under-represented groups within our industry hesitate to apply unless they tick most boxes of a role description. At H2 Green Steel, we are building an impact company with sustainability at its core. We need a diverse, inclusive, and authentic team to rally behind our purpose of de-carbonizing hard-to-abate industries, starting with steel.
So, if you are equally passionate about our purpose yet concerned that your experience doesn’t perfectly align with the qualifications stated in the job advert, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate, either for this role – or for another upcoming role in our rapidly growing business.
H2 Green Steel is on a mission to disrupt the global steel industry by producing green steel, with the end goal of bringing CO2 emissions to zero. By using green hydrogen and fossil-free electricity instead of coal; water and heat will be our primary emissions. By 2030, our ambition is to produce 5 million tonnes of green steel annually in our fully integrated, digitalized, and sustainable plant in Boden, located in northern Sweden - currently in the construction phase. But this is just the beginning – our expertise in green hydrogen will enable us to decarbonize other industries in addition to steel, and we look forward to what’s next in store for us.
We are looking for talented, innovative, and purpose-driven people to join our rapidly growing and diverse team. Our employees get to learn every day, implement the latest technology and test and put their ideas into practice. Together, we are building an impact company with sustainability at its core – for our people, customers, investors, society, and the planet.
As the R&D Lead, you will report directly to the Head of Steel Technology and play a pivotal role in establishing and leading our R&D function. You will have the opportunity to assemble a team of talented Metallurgists for Up- and Downstream, contributing to our collective vision for a different kind of steel production by bringing innovation and deep knowledge within the Materials Science of Steel. You will be working closely together with your colleagues in the Production department, the Quality team, customers and universities. The position can be based either in Boden or Stockholm.
- Research and develop new techniques, processes, and materials to enhance our steel production
- Establish and optimize chemical analyses and production parameters for improved efficiency and quality
- Drive the development of new steel grades
- Optimize existing steel grades, constantly striving for higher performance and sustainability
- Effectively address and resolve issues related to steel products, such as claims and declassification
- Over time, expand and strengthen the R&D team by hiring new members
- A degree in Metallurgy or a related field, demonstrating a solid foundation in the science of metals
- Proven leadership experience within an R&D department of a steel manufacturer specializing in flat carbon steel products
- Ideally, a comprehensive understanding of the entire steelmaking process; alternatively, deep expertise in either the upstream or downstream stages
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, capable of tackling complex challenges and developing innovative solutions
- Adept at collaborating with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders, including Production, Quality, customers, and academic institutions
What we can offer you
If you are passionate about making actual change and having a positive impact on society and our planet, H2 Green Steel offers a unique opportunity to be part of a fun and professional team with high ambitions.
You will get the opportunity to shape your future career together with a company focusing on creating a culture where everyone can thrive and feel a sense of belonging. In the end, we know that H2 Green Steel’s growth and success is dependent on our people and we can’t wait to shape the future of steelmaking and other industries together as a team.