Research shows that women and other under-represented groups within our industry hesitate to apply unless they tick most boxes of a role description. At H2 Green Steel, we are building an impact company with sustainability at its core. We need a diverse, inclusive, and authentic team to rally behind our purpose of de-carbonizing hard-to-abate industries, starting with steel.
So, if you are equally passionate about our purpose yet concerned that your experience doesn’t perfectly align with the qualifications stated in the job advert, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate, either for this role – or for another upcoming role in our rapidly growing business.
Our mission is to accelerate de-carbonization of hard-to-abate industries, starting with steel.
To do this, we need to break new ground. H2 Green Steel is on a mission to disrupt the global steel industry by producing green steel, with the end goal of bringing down CO2 emissions to zero. By using green hydrogen and fossil-free electricity instead of coal; water and heat will be our primary emissions. By combining leading expertise and new technology with clean energy, we are on a path to take global leadership within green hydrogen, enabling us to transform steelmaking and other sectors. Changing an industry is not a small task, but we know it’s possible, and necessary, for our customers, society, and our planet.
Things are moving fast, and we are accelerating. At the beginning of 2020, we announced our plans to make the steel industry fossil-free, in 2022 we broke ground, and in 2023 we finalized one of Europe’s largest private investment rounds and started to scale up construction.
We are building diverse, dynamic, and driven teams. We look for ambitious individuals from all disciplines, sharing our vision of cutting CO2 emissions down to zero. As a team, we innovate, collaborate, and enjoy the ride.
By 2030, our ambition is to produce 5 million tonnes of green steel annually in our fully integrated, digitalized, and sustainable plant in Boden, located in northern Sweden - currently in construction phase. But this is just the beginning – our expertise in green hydrogen will enable us to decarbonize other industries in addition to steel, and we look forward to what’s next in store for us.
Project Manager Water Treatment and Air Separation
Our first Hydrogen based steel project in Boden is broken down into 4 areas: Hydrogen manufacturing, Iron making (DRI), Steel making, as well as Site Infrastructure and utilities.
As Project Manager, you will report directly to the Head of Area, and you will assume responsibility to deliver scope from engineering to hand-over to operations. As one of our Project Managers, to optimize project delivery, you work in a matrix structure including Site Execution, Project Control, and Engineering.
The primary scope of delivery for this role will be the Water and Waste Water Treatment plant and the Air Separation Plant, with a heavy focus on the Water and Waste Water Treatment scope.
Your main responsibility is to deliver the scope on time and budget by driving key contracts and coordinating resources across the internal team as well as with our partners. You will report status and escalations of the project directly into the management team and other stakeholders (such as Board) as necessary.
The role is based in Boden or Stockholm, Sweden.
- Lead the Water Treatment and Air Separation Plant delivery for the Boden Project (internally and with external partners) in setting priorities and delivery targets necessary to achieve the company’s goals for the project.
- Ensure design, procurement, contracts, and construction (internal and external) are delivering to project requirements and against cost and schedule targets.
- Setup and implement H2GS governance structure for your scope across disciplines (e.g. procurement, engineering, construction, commissioning), ensuring it is functioning as required for driving communication, decisions, and control.
- Own and deliver against scope, schedule, and budget within overall project requirements.
- Control scope source of truth and clearly communicate this to the team, keeping them on critical task. Ultimate line of ownership for change management.
- Focus team on critical path to ensure delivery of key milestones. Clearly track and communicate against schedule priorities.
- Manage cost against target budget, driving all stakeholders for continuous improvement and focus on minimum technical solutions, by optimizing and challenging everything.
- Minimum 15 years industry experience, of which at least 10 years with hands-on project leadership experience in demanding industrial environment (e.g. Steel, Oil & gas, semiconductor, automotive, battery manufacturing)
- Engineering degree (B.Sc. / M.Sc. or similar) or similar is required, preferably in chemical / process engineering. Water Treatment Plant experience is a major benefit.
- Fluency in English
- Track record as project manager driving complex projects, covering both planning/designing phase as well as execution phase
- Experience working on an owner’s team is a plus
- Experience working in multi-cultural environment is a plus
Specific skills and Success factors
- Engaging and effective leadership capability that creates forward momentum and influence across multiple disciplines and functions.
- Highly execution oriented and biased towards decision making. Knocks down barriers and gets it done.
- Commercial and contract skills with experience managing contractors from owners or owners representative side.
- Focused on problem solving and 1st principles orientation – challenge all stakeholders on both requirements and outputs. Proven effective technical competence in proven discipline.
- Ability to work under high pressure and tight deadlines, excellent time management skills.
- Strong stakeholder management and communication skills. Ability to work well with others in a team environment, as well as independently strong coordination.
What we can offer you
If you are passionate about making actual change and having a positive impact on society and our planet, H2 Green Steel offers a unique opportunity to be part of a fun and professional team with high ambitions.
You will get the opportunity to shape your future career together with a company focusing on creating a culture where everyone can thrive and feel a sense of belonging. In the end, we know that H2 Green Steel’s growth and success is dependent on our people and we can’t wait to shape the future of steelmaking and other industries together as a team.